Programs & Events
The University Museums host lectures, gallery talks and family programs throughout the year, in conjunction with current exhibitions or to highlight research on works from the permanent collection. All events are free and open to the public, unless otherwise noted.
- Artist's TalkFeb086:00 PM - 8:00 PM"Oak Leaves, Potatoes, and Kodachrome: Eighty Years of Color at National Geographic" presented by Nathan Benn, artist. Following the talk there will be a reception and preview of the exhibition "Nathan Benn: Kodachrome Memory, American Pictures 1972-1990" in the Harnett Museum of Art.
- Museum Collection Focus Talk and Tea ReceptionFeb141:30 PM - 3:30 PM"Eleven Treasures from the Chinese Ceramics Collection" presented by Marcin Jerzewski, '18, Chinese studies and political science double major, University of Richmond, and the 2015-2016 Education Assistant, University Museums. Tea Reception to follow. Event is part of the Eleventh Annual ChinaFest. Free and open to the public.
- College NightFeb178:00 PM - 10:00 PMUR students are invited to College Night at the University Museums. Enjoy entertainment, food, and exhibitions! FREE!!
- One Man Show: The Art and Life of Bernard PerlinFeb226:00 PM - 8:00 PMLecture presented by Michael Schreiber, Curator of The Estate of Bernard Perlin. Reception and preview of the exhibition "Bernard Perlin" An Anthology of Drawings, 1934-1994" to follow lecture in the Harnett Museum of Art. Free and open to the public.
- Museum Story Time for ChildrenFeb282:00 PM - 3:00 PMReading from Susan Pearson's book "Slugs in Love," followed by an art activity. Free, reservations recommended, call Martha Wright, Coordinator of Visitor and Tour Services, University Museums, at 804-287-1258, or email email@example.com.
- The French Horse from Géricault to Picasso: An Intercollegiate SeminarMar026:00 PM - 8:30 PMSymposium presented by Mitchell Merling, Paul Mellon Curator and Head of the Department of European Art, VMFA; Jeffrey Allison, Paul Mellon Educator and Manager of VMFA Statewide Programs and Exhibitions; Richard Waller, Executive Director, University of Richmond Museums; and students enrolled in the seminar "The French Horse from Géricault to Picasso." Following the lecture there will be a... Continue reading
- University Museums Family Day!Apr031:00 PM - 3:00 PMJoin us for a FREE arts-centered family fun day with exhibitions, hands-on art activities, and refreshments. Open to the public.
- Museum Story Time for ChildrenApr031:30 PM - 3:00 PMReading from Amy Krause Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenheld's book "Duck! Rabbit!" at 1:30 p.m., and "Chalk" by Bill Thompson at 2:30 p.m. Presented in conjunction with University Museums Family Day. Free and open to the public.
- Drawing the HorseApr102:00 PM - 4:00 PMA drawing workshop featuring Shakota Lena, a 1998 registered Bay Overo Paint, owned by Kym Osterbind, Recruiting Coordinator, Law School Career Development Office, University of Richmond. The workshop is led by Ruth Bolduan, artist and Professor of Painting and Drawing, Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts, Richmond. Registration is required ($10, includes drawing... Continue reading
- Artists' TalksApr151:00 PM - 5:00 PMPresented by graduating studio art majors in the exhibition "Senior Thesis Exhibition," as part of the 2016 Arts and Sciences Symposium. Exact times to be determined closer to the date.